How to Clean and Kill Mould Using Regular Household Products?
Mould is a menace that we all hate for the right reasons. It makes the house look shabby and can affect the health of the family members. Moreover, the stench is hard to miss and can turn your home into a breeding ground while spreading to other areas.
Any place in your house that is prone to high levels of humidity, or often gets wet, or stays hidden from your view, is the ideal place for the growth of mould. To make your house mould-free, you need to kill it and make sure that it doesn’t come back. People usually opt for commercial products to solve this problem, but such products can create new issues as they have harmful chemicals.
These chemicals can cause eye and skin irritation
. Thus, you should only use regular household products to clean the mould. And if you are hiring professionals who perform end of lease cleaning in Sydney, make sure that they follow an eco-friendly approach.
Here are a few products that can help you eliminate the mould from your house without causing any problems to the environment or your health. Have a look!
Use Baking Soda
One of the safest and easiest ways to destroy mould is to use baking soda. Unlike commercial products that have harmful chemicals, baking soda is safe for your entire family as well as pets. Apply baking soda directly on the affected surface. This option works particularly well on surfaces like wooden furniture or drywalls. Let it settle down for some time so that it can penetrate the damp surface. Then use a brush to wipe it away.
Vinegar is one of those things that is always available in your pantry. It is another great option to kill mould in your house. Pour some white vinegar into a bottle and spray it directly on the affected surface and let it settle down. Then use a brush to clean the area properly and dry the spot. Professionals who perform the professional end of lease cleaning in Sydney
usually use vinegar to remove mould.
Use Borax Solution
It is effective in eliminating existing mould and preventing its growth in future. However, you should use borax only on non-porous surfaces like tiled bathrooms and kitchens. For porous surfaces like wood, baking soda is a better option. Pour one cup borax in one gallon of warm water. Take a brush and dip it into the solution before scrubbing the affected area vigorously with it. Then remove the excess borax solution
with the help of a clean rag.
Use Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is excellent for cleaning. You can use it to remove mould from various surfaces such as clothes, fixtures, floors, walls, and even appliances. Take a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution and pour it into a spray bottle. Apply it on the mouldy surface and wait for at least 10 to 15 minutes. Then scrub the area with a brush. Make sure that you wipe away the excess moisture.
Use Bleach and Warm Water
This solution can be very effective in getting rid of mould present in kitchen, bathroom and other household rooms. Mix one cup of bleach in one gallon of water. Then take a brush (medium-bristled) and dip it into the solution before rubbing it on the stains. After cleaning it, dry the spot as much as possible as moisture promotes mould.
Common Places Where You Can Find Mould?
There are some specific places where they can grow pretty easily. This is because these places have one thing in common – excess level of moisture. Thus, you need to make sure that you clean these places frequently.
Bathroom: With a lot of moisture, your bathroom can be a breeding ground for mould. While you can see them on shower walls, they are not visible in some places like under the floor.
Kitchen: Due to various plumbing problems under the dishwasher and sink, you can find mould in this particular spot. To clean your dishwasher deeply, you should contact a company that offers end of lease cleaning in Sydney.
Air Ducts: With all kinds of air passing through these ducts, a lot of moisture stays on the surface for a long period. And this leads to the growth of mould inside the ducts.
Basement: Your basement is one of the most preferred places for the mould to grow. This is because of the high humidity and lack of proper ventilation. You should have dehumidifiers in your basements.
Attics: Another place where the humidity is on the higher side is the attic. Roof leaks make it easier for the mould to grow in this place. Also, it does not get cleaned as often as other places.
Important Tips to Prevent the Growth of Mould
Cleaning the Mould is not the only solution. You should also know the ways that can stop them from coming back. Here are a few tips that can help you to keep the mould at bay. Have a look.
Remove the Moisture to Avoid Mould
Excess moisture is responsible for the mould problem. So, if you want to get rid of mould, killing them is not the only solution. If moisture is present, they will come back. Thus, you need to clear the moisture as well. Have dehumidifiers in places that have excess moisture. And for places like the bathroom, remove the water after taking a shower and open the windows.
Contact Professionals If There Is a Serious Mould Problem
If there is an area where the mould growth is over 10 square feet, you should immediately contact professionals. They have the experience, advanced tools and technical knowledge to tackle the worst mould condition in your house. They know how to get rid of them without causing any damage to the surface.
Don’t Paint Over The Mouldy Surface
People often paint a mould affected surface to clean it permanently, but this thing doesn’t work. The paint will peel off because the mould will not allow the paint to stay on the wall surface. Thus, if you want to paint the area, first you need to remove the mould properly.
Protect Yourself While Cleaning The Mould
As mould has spores, which are air-borne particles, you must wear proper protection while cleaning it. Otherwise, you can have numerous health problems, including dizziness and skin irritation. Thus, you should have equipment like a respirator, goggles, gloves, etc. You can purchase these things from any nearby hardware store in Sydney.
Throw Away Materials That Are Porous Or Absorbent
If you have any porous or absorbent materials like ceiling tiles or drywall, you should discard them if the damage of mould is severe enough. This is because mould gets into the tiny cracks and pores of porous materials, and it can be tough to remove it, even for professionals who perform end of lease cleaning in Sydney.
Cleaning mould using regular household products can be as effective as any commercial product. You just need to follow the right method. Also, remember that removing them is not enough. You need to ensure that the mould does not get a chance to make a comeback. The products, methods and tips mentioned here will help you to deal with the mould problem effectively.